Tuesday, October 27, 2009

GFCF...Cautiously Optomistic

Today was day 9 of Aden's full, and very rigid gluten free-casein free diet (yes, we have committed). I must admit that it was incredibly difficult to get started. We shopped for everything on Sunday after church, and I almost cried in the middle of Henry's. I kid you not, there were tears, but I didn't let them fall. Everything was sooooo expensive and I was completely overwhelmed. We ended up buying a ton of packaged stuff that cost an arm and a leg and guess what?! He wouldn't touch it. For the first few days he lived off of turkey and fruit. I wanted to give up, just so that he could eat something. Then, on day 4, he looked at me and said, "Oh Mommy, Get some applesauce, I hungry!" I was shocked. That was a huge and amazing sentence :) Slowly but surely, he has pulled out new words and phrases to surprise me with. Here are a few adorable examples,

"You stay there, Mommy"
"I need to clean da house" (what?!)
"I want some peanut butter sandwich"
He is using PRONOUNS! We could never get him to say "I"...or he or she or they or his or hers ECT. Now he is spouting them off all day (sometimes incorrectly, but he's trying). Overall his mood has shifted as well. He is waking up so happy every morning...it used to be very difficult to wake up. He would be grumpy for a good 30 minutes, and would often cry for no apparent reason.

I'm trying not to jump the gun and get too excited about GFCF. Maybe it's all in my head (but I hope not, and Scott thinks it's working as well!). I'm at home all day, baking bread and making chicken nuggets from scratch. I'm feeling very "Martha" lately...and very tired :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You're doing an amazing job Katie and have more strength then I think I could ever have given your situation. It's inspiring and you're such a great mommy!!