Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Savory Goodness

I'm a part of an amazing small group through our church's women's ministry called Dwelling Place. DP isn't in session right now so we have started meeting outside of church. Each time we get together, one of these fabulous ladies will pop in a batch of Trader Joe's caramelized onion, pastry thingies (that's a technical term). They fill the house with warmth and an aroma that lures us all to the kitchen! After a few nights of eating at least three of the twelve that are made, I finally took a peek at the ingredients list. Ah ha! I knew that I had all of these things readily available in my very own kitchen, so today I set out to make my savory puffy pastry dreams come true....

First, caramelize the onions

Next, mix up a glob (another technical term) of sour cream and throw in some feta cheese to taste

Cut pastry into twelve squarish shapes (again with the technicalities)

Butter and flour a mini muffin tin

Assemble as shown: pastry, cream, onions

WAIT...where did that cream mixture go?!

Found it!

Bake until the pastry is crisp and the house smells like a chef's dream....20ish minutes?
viola!

Scrumptious....succulent....goodness.

I also stayed with the pastry theme for dinner....roasted Halibut with tomatoes, caramelized onions, upon freshly baked pastry crust

It was quite the productive day in the McGihon Kitchen!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Seriously!!! you.are.my.hero!!! Your carmelly things (technical term) looking AMAZING!! I love your new blogs style and writing and everything by the way!

Genny said...

uhhhh, yum! where do you get the pastry and what is it called?

Katie said...

Thanks Hol...you're my hero too :)

Genny, they're Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry sheets, found frozen in the grocery store...a life saver!

Catherine said...

i see your own food network show in the near future! :) love all the pics, too! i love to make food pretty. we eat with our eyes first, right? haha!