Thursday, December 10, 2009

Here We Go...

On monday, my mother in law ended up coming over while Ava was asleep and just sat on the couch and listened for her so that I could go with Aden. Ava slept almost the entire time and had just woke up when I came home. She has been fine since then :) Aden's testing with the school district went well, but it wasn't what I had expected. They were basically only testing him on his cognitive abilities, and it had nothing to do with autism. He is quite smart, if I do say so myself, he just doesn't want to have conversations. At one point they held up a shape and Aden said, "Pentagon! A pentagon has 5 sides. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!" They were sort of baffled at the things that he knows at his age and said that his speech is above his age level. He just very clearly repeats everything you say. Anyway, we wont get his results until after Christmas break. Today we leave to spend the night in San Diego. Our appointment is at 9am tomorrow. I was so excited but today I woke up very nervous about it. I'm just so fearful that he will freak out when we leave him with the doctors, and that it will be a really bad experience for him. Scott and I have no idea how it will be, if we'll be able to watch him the whole time or if we have to sit in the waiting room. I told him we should just go see a movie to keep from going crazy during these 4 hours! Ava will be spending the night at Miss Holly's house, and I am so grateful that I won't have to worry about her while we are gone. She loves Tyler and will be very distracted by all of his toys :)


I sort of feel like today will be our last "normal" day. Normal, no diagnosis, no therapy, just a happy, normal day with a happy little boy (who very clearly repeats everything you say!). Sometimes I wonder why we are even bothering with all of this. I think Aden is so wonderful and smart. Why are we doing this? But then I remember, when he won't have a conversation with me. Last night Scott brought home our Christmas tree and he was so afraid of it! So cute, but so bizarre. He ran all the way to the kitchen and jumped up on his chair to hide from it. We're going to decorate it today, maybe make some cookies to take with us. I'd appreciate everyone's prayers for our family as we step into the unknown. I already feel like my faith is being tested, and we haven't even left yet. I'll update when we get home on Saturday.

1 comments:

Catherine said...

Sweet Katie,
More than ever, God is in control. I know that you already know that. In fact, He already knew the results of the tests and He will be carrying you when you think you no longer have the strength. Aden will be just fine. Hugs, prayers, and lots of love to you, friend. xo